Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board Presents
Family Farm Weekend
at the Milwaukee County Zoo
The Milwaukee County Zoo welcomes families to come on down to our farm to enjoy a traditional autumn event: Family Farm Weekend, sponsored by Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Saturday and Sunday, September 8 and 9.
Most of the day’s activities will be in the Zoo’s Northwestern Mutual Family Farm, the last working farm in the city of Milwaukee, complete with dairy cows and a milking parlor. The weekend features activities like crafts, food demonstrations and hayrides.
- Get the full farm experience by watching cow milking; visiting the horses, cows and donkeys; and maybe even pet Wisconsin animals after the Stackner Animal Encounter presentations. Times for these talks are posted outside of the Animal Encounter Building.
- Children 10 and under weighing 70 pounds or less can flex their muscles in the 2012 Pedal Tractor-Pull Contest sponsored by CNH.
- Take part, or just enjoy a range of cooking and craft demonstrations, including peanut butter making and basket weaving.
- View our variety of flowers in the Family Farm garden, presented by the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee County Extension-Master Gardeners. Gardeners can feel free to ask our experts questions.
- Hop on and join us for a hayride! Rides take place from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. both days, and depart from Kohl’s Wild Theater.
- Enjoy the sounds of country and bluegrass with The Bluegrass Allstars and their unique presentations of banjo, fiddle, mandolin, guitar and vocal harmonies. Sunday: 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Wisconsin Beekeepers Association invites you to learn interesting and fun facts about these busy, buzzing insects. Honey is also available for purchase. Open throughout the day at the Bee Exhibit
- Enjoy the Zoo Farmer’s Market where you’ll find a sampling of fruits, veggies and other delicious produce available for purchase from Wisconsin farmers. Offerings include peppers, onions, gourmet hot sauces and maple sugar.
There’s something for everyone to enjoy during Family Farm Weekend at the Zoo.
Activities take place both days from 9:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.
For additional information, please contact the Public Affairs and Services Division at 414.256.5466. All activities are free with regular Zoo admission.