Sponsored by Sendik's Food Markets
Friday, October 21, 2016, 6 p.m. to 9 p.m.
Saturday, October 22, 2016, 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.
The Zoo promises a hauntingly good time for visitors this Halloween as the grounds (complete with over 700 pumpkins!) come alive with ghostly fun! “Halloween Spooktacular,” sponsored by Sendik’s Food Markets, takes place Friday, Oct. 21 from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m., and Saturday, Oct. 22 from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. The Zoo will be transformed into a Halloween haven, complete with not-too-spooky, family-friendly activities:
Barely Scary Activities:
- Enjoy a variety of Halloween entertainment just for our little witches and warlocks. Activities include: a Halloween haystack maze, a unique animated Dancing Light Show at the Northwestern Mutual Family Farm and lively musical performances by Razzmatazz!
- Learn new and interesting facts about bats through special talks by our zookeepers. You’ll learn about the roles of these winged mammals, and what you can do to help save this important creature’s rapidly-disappearing habitat.
- Whether you’re Batman or Pocahontas for the day, we invite you to march in our costume parade Saturday, at 2 p.m. Beginning in front of the Northwestern Mutual Family Farm, follow the costumed crowds to the Peck Welcome Center where you’ll have the chance to win special prize giveaways!
- Ghouls and goblins 12 years and under, as well as groups and families with themed costumes, can enter our Spooktacular Costume Contest! Registration is from 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., and winners will be announced during the after-parade festivities. The winners in each of our categories will receive a trophy, and the Best in Show winner also receives a Behind-the-Scenes Zoo Tour!
- Enjoy hundreds of glowing, hand-carved pumpkins throughout the Zoo grounds!
- All aboard – if you dare! Hop on the legendary North Shore Bank Zoo Train-turned-Raven’s Rail, as it takes guests on a spooky spin through the Zoo! Be on the lookout for pumpkin critters popping up along the wooded route.
- Sweets and Treats! Visitors can gather goodies by visiting a variety of treat stops located among our animal exhibits! Venture over to our fennec foxes, tigers and lowland gorillas – among many others – as our volunteers fill your bags with goodies galore!
- Several of our animals will also join in the Halloween fun, and receive special pumpkins prepared just for them – filled with their favorite treats! These pumpkins serve as enrichment by allowing the animals to express behaviors similar to those seen in the wild. Some of the animals receiving pumpkin treats include hippos, tigers and polar bear, Snow Lilly.
- DON’T MISS! At 1 p.m. Saturday, gather around the outdoor Elephant Exhibit to see our fan favorite elephants, Ruth and Brittany, receive GIGANTIC pumpkins to chomp, crunch and stomp! The pumpkins are sure to bring out their wild instincts!
Reduced admission rates apply for the Halloween Spooktacular event:
|Juniors (age 3 to 12):
|Children (ages 2 and under):
Click here for a list of Frequently Asked Questions about the Zoo’s Halloween events.
For additional information about the Zoo’s Halloween events, please contact the Zoo’s Marketing and Communications Division at (414) 256-5466.
|Special thanks to our Halloween Spooktacular event sponsor: