Family Farm Weekend
Saturday & Sunday, September 10 & 11, 2016
Sponsored by Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board
Join us at the Zoo on Saturday and Sunday, September 10 and 11 from 9:30 a.m. to 3 p.m., as we celebrate Family Farm Weekend, sponsored by the Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board. Most of the day’s farm-related activities will be held at the Northwestern Mutual Family Farm—the only working dairy farm in the city of Milwaukee!
The weekend offers fun for all ages and will feature food demonstrations, milking parlor demonstrations, a children’s pedal tractor-pull exhibition, and a local farmers market featuring farm-fresh treats like maple sugar, gourmet hot sauces, honey and lotions.
Bushels of Fun:
- Experience farm life right here in the city by watching cow milking, visiting the goats and cows, and even having a chance to interact with some of our animals following the Stackner Animal Encounter presentations. Times for these talks are posted outside of the Stackner Animal Encounter Building.
- Children 10 and under weighing 70 pounds or less are invited to use their imaginations and become a little farmer for the day with a unique Pedal Tractor-Pull Exhibition sponsored by CNH Industrial.
- New this year! Wisconsin Spudmobile: Learn about the ins and outs of potato production, from the farmer’s field to the dinner plate, on board this mobile education center. (Sunday only)
- Adults and kids, age 4 and up, can compete for prizes with others in their age group in the Milk Chugging Contest; participants must be 4+ years of age. Drink up!
- Prepare your taste buds for a tart and savory treat with our Pickle Eating Contest! Adults and kids ages 4 and up can join in the fun!
- Experience a variety of food and other demonstrations, including popcorn making, ice cream making, and basket weaving.
- Enjoy activities and giveaways from Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board and Wisconsin Farm Bureau Federation’s Southeastern Wisconsin Farmers.
- Get your country groove on as The Bluegrass Allstars entertain visitors with their down-home bluegrass and country music, complete with banjo, fiddle, mandolin, guitar and vocal harmonies.
- Enjoy the Zoo Farmers Market where you’ll find a sampling of fruits, veggies and other fresh, delicious produce available for purchase from Wisconsin farmers. Offerings include peppers, onions, kettle corn, pancake mixes and beeswax products.
There’s something for everyone at the Family Farm Weekend at the Zoo. Activities take place both days from 9:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.
For additional information, please contact the Marketing and Communications Division at 414.256.5411. All activities are free with regular Zoo admission.
Special thanks to our Family Farm Weekend event sponsor: