Family Farm Weekend
September 12 & 13, 2015
Sponsored by Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board
Farm-centric activities will take over the Milwaukee County Zoo, as Family Farm Weekend, sponsored by Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, takes place Saturday and Sunday, September 12 and 13.
Most of the day’s activities will be in the Zoo’s Northwestern Mutual Family Farm, the last working farm in the city of Milwaukee, complete with dairy cows and a milking parlor. The weekend features food demonstrations, children’s pedal tractor-pull contests and a local farmer’s market featuring farm-fresh treats like maple sugar, fruits, honey and candles.
A Bushel of Fun:
- Get the full farm experience by watching cow milking; visiting the donkeys and cows; and maybe even petting a variety of animals after the Stackner Animal Encounter presentations. Times for these talks are posted outside of the Stackner Animal Encounter Building.
- Children 10 and under weighing 70 pounds or less can flex their muscles in this year’s Pedal Tractor-Pull Contest sponsored by CNH Industrial. For kids 30 pounds and under, a special pedal tractor exhibition will be offered.
- Adults and kids can compete for prizes in the Milk Chugging Contest; participants must be 4+ years of age. Drink up!
- NEW THIS YEAR! Get your taste buds ready for a tart and savory treat with our Pickle Eating Contest! Adults and kids, age 4 and up, can join in the fun!
- Enjoy a range of cooking demonstrations, including popcorn making and lemonade making.
- Enjoy agricultural fun with the outreach booth sponsored by Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board and Wisconsin Farm Bureau Federation’s Southeastern Wisconsin Farmers.
- View the variety of flowers in the Family Farm garden, presented by the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee County Extension-Master Gardeners. Gardeners can feel free to ask our experts questions.
- Help support Zoo Pride volunteer programs by purchasing beautiful handcrafted items at our new Zoo Pride Craft Fair.
- Enjoy the sounds of country and bluegrass with The Bluegrass Allstars and their unique presentations of banjo, fiddle, mandolin, guitar and vocal harmonies. Saturday and Sunday: 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Enjoy the Zoo Farmer’s Market where you’ll find a sampling of fruits, veggies and other delicious produce available for purchase from Wisconsin farmers. Offerings include peppers, onions, fresh kettle corn and beeswax products.
There’s something for everyone to enjoy during Family Farm Weekend at the Zoo. Activities take place both days from 9:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.
For additional information, please contact the Public Affairs and Services Division at 414.771.3040. All activities are free with regular Zoo admission.
Special thanks to our Family Farm Weekend event sponsor: