Family Farm Weekend
September 7 & 8, 2013
Sponsored by Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board
The Milwaukee County Zoo welcomes families to enjoy a bushel full of fun and activity down on our farm, as Family Farm Weekend, sponsored by Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, takes place Saturday and Sunday, September 7 and 8.
Most of the day’s activities will be in the Zoo’s Northwestern Mutual Family Farm, the last working farm in the city of Milwaukee, complete with dairy cows and a milking parlor. The weekend features activities like food demonstrations, children’s pedal tractor-pull contest and a local farmer’s market featuring fresh goodies like maple sugar, fruits and gourmet hot sauces.
A Harvest of Fun:
- Get the full farm experience by watching cow milking; visiting the donkeys and cows; and maybe even pet Wisconsin animals after the Stackner Animal Encounter presentations. Times for these talks are posted outside of the Stackner Animal Encounter Building.
- Children 10 and under weighing 70 pounds or less can flex their muscles in this year’s Pedal Tractor-Pull Contest sponsored by CNH. For kids 30 pounds and under, a very special pedal tractor exhibition will be offered.
- New this year! Adults and kids can compete for prizes in the Milk Chugging Contest; participants must be 4+ years of age. Drink up!
- Enjoy a range of cooking demonstrations, including peanut butter making and lemonade making.
- View our variety of flowers in the Family Farm garden, presented by the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee County Extension-Master Gardeners. Gardeners can feel free to ask our experts questions.
- New this year! Help support Zoo Pride volunteer programs by purchasing beautiful handcrafted items at our new Zoo Pride Craft Fair.
- Enjoy the sounds of country and bluegrass with The Bluegrass Allstars and their unique presentations of banjo, fiddle, mandolin, guitar and vocal harmonies.
Sunday: 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Enjoy the Zoo Farmer’s Market where you’ll find a sampling of fruits, veggies and other delicious produce available for purchase from Wisconsin farmers. Offerings include peppers, onions, gourmet hot sauces and beeswax products.
There’s something for everyone to enjoy during Family Farm Weekend at the Zoo. Activities take place both days from 9:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. All activities are free with regular Zoo admission.
Special thanks to our Family Farm Weekend event sponsor: