CELEBRATE THE HUGE ROLE ELEPHANTS PLAY IN OUR NATURAL WORLD AT THE MILWAUKEE COUNTY ZOO’S
ELEPHANT APPRECIATION DAY
September 14, 2013
Out of all the land animals, elephants are some of the most fascinating and intriguing species. On Saturday, September 14, the Zoo invites visitors to participate in fun and educational activities designed to spread awareness and highlight the conservation efforts for these majestic, endangered animals. Activities take place from 10:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
- Elephant Barn: Enter the world of the Zoo’s two African elephants, Ruth and Brittany, for an up close view of their daily activities and care while touring the elephant barn between 11 a.m. and 1 p.m.
- Act Like an Elephant: Participate in games that let you see what it’s like to use a trunk to pick up food, and try on elephant feet to walk like an elephant! Also, test your elephant knowledge by putting together giant African and Asian elephant puzzles.
- Enrichment Activities: Elephants at our Zoo take part in enrichment activities, which promote them to use some of the same behaviors as they would in the wild. Join us for a welcoming talk at 10:30 a.m. and watch the elephants interact with a refrigerator box with treats inside. At 2 p.m., the enrichment session includes an enormous ice cube, complete with fruit and vegetable treats.
- Elephant Art and Artifacts: Touch elephant-related artifacts like a real tusk and tail. Some of the enrichment opportunities offered to Ruth and Brittany involve creating paintings with a brush held with their trunks. Today, visitors will have the chance to purchase these unique works of art. All proceeds benefit elephant conservation.
- Curious Questions: Visitors are encouraged to ask questions of our elephant zookeepers, such as, “What is the new canopy now displayed in the outside elephant yard?”
- Big Behaviors: Hear and see how the elephants are trained as they display different behaviors through a special training session with zookeepers at 1:30 p.m.
- Show Your Support: Wear your elephant ears from the day’s activities and receive a free ride on the Penzeys Spices Carousel.
- Save the Species: Learn more about elephants in the wild and their habitats and how our Zoo contributes to elephant conservation projects throughout the world.
Proceeds from Elephant Appreciation Day will benefit the International Elephant Foundation.
All activities for this special event are included in regular Zoo admission. For further details; please contact the Zoo’s Public Affairs and Services Division at 414.256.5466.